Home Forums Help/Technical Questions 2880 Stereo Multi-Track Looper – DISCONTINUED

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    MattInVegas

way good to know, thanks

zenogenic

so what should i be looking for?
    a cf card?

Cryabetes
    Participant

yep. aim for 1GB for best results, or if your loops are generally under 24 minutes of total material (so about 4 min per track), you can get by with 128mb cards.

dunkdroog

seriously… this is the best looper i’ve ever used! the faders are imperative to how i preform (you can checkout here: http://www.youtube.com/cupcakeandprofessor). the idea of having faders on each looping track bring DJ sensibility to live looping. I’m glad I got my hands on two of these before it was discontinued. I really hope they come out with an update!

if there is a new looper in the works, i’d suggest looking into the following new features:
    – easy bridge ability (able to quickly tie multiple together units into one working array)
    – ‘undo/redo’ button
    – soft-switches for floor pedal (from above… good call)
    – click to headphones only
    – ability to switch tracks from ‘in time’ to ‘one shot’ and a quick triggering mechanism
    – CF card changed to SD card (…the setup of the CF card port is a bit flimsy, i’ve had it break…)
    – an on-board way to load previous sessions / save sessions and start new
    – some mechanism to have preceding loops from the original be multiples or divisions (OR BOTH!) of the original loop timebase. (for instance, one could record a 2-bar loop and follow with a 16-bar segment… or vice versa…)

Again… i’m sorry to see the 2880 go… truly a revolutionary device.

MattInVegas

That port is relatively fragile compare to shove-it-in ports. Definitely best to look at what you’re doing.

Some of the cards I bought on ebay were defective – buyers beware

sam480
    Quote:
    That port is relatively fragile compare to shove-it-in ports. Definitely best to look at what you’re doing.

Definitely take that to heart. I was taking my card out just a year ago and the port broke. I was busy and money was a bit tight so I never picked another one up. Just found out today that they’ve been discontinued. As if used ones weren’t hard enough to find a few years ago. Such is life.

MattInVegas

Definnitely was the case

Quote:
    Quote:
    So no matter what comes next I imagine the 2880 will be remembered fondly for some function or feature that got dropped or re-imagined.

exactly. and if it fits the bill for what you need now, the presence of an updated version won’t change that… with all tech, you can spend forever waiting to make sure you get the current thing – meanwhile, you miss all the time of actually using a unit to make things…

if i had to guess, i’d say later summer at the earliest…

sunsinger

Bout time, I bought one and it sucked. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great looper!, but the inability of the unit to format cards with a Macintosh left me stranded. I could not format any new cards because I didn’t have a Windows computer so old it had hair on it.

Lots of kind suggestions on this forum offering solutions like ” go into the line code on your Mac and write new software to format in FAT 16.” It’s a guitar pedal! It shouldn’t take line coding skills to use it.

I practically threw mine back at my dealer after about 3 weeks of trying to solve the formatting issue. They kindly took it back and credited me. I bought a different looper.

Now before you call me a hater, I’m actually pleased to see the new 45000 EHX Looper is coming, and it looks like such a cool looper, I’m actually considering buying one. IF IT CAN FORMAT NEW CARDS ON A MAC. It looks like I might be able to because they changed the card format to FAT 32 instead of the dreaded FAT 16. If this issue is resolved, I’d recommend it to anyone if it’s any bit better than the 2880.

MattInVegas

I have a Mac. I have no need to format cards.

sunsinger
    Quote:
    I have a Mac. I have no need to format cards.

And your point is?

Maybe some people need to format other cards. To switch cards to play during several sets or songs? That’s why I bring this issue up.
    It’s relevant .

It’s great to have your favorite loops in a library. I work on perfecting a loop for many hours at times. I also use very long loops
    sometimes up to 15 minutes. I like to mix my loop elements live. I have second and third looper so I can capture and play live elements and create ambient washes. I’m a very serious looping musician and have the need to format additional cards. Right now I’m at a dozen cards.

MattInVegas

I mean you don’t use those cards with a Mac. You can record your loops onto the card through the 2880. If you want to be able to upload the loops to your computer and refine it, arcane of a need as that is, you’re right you can’t.

sunsinger

You may be referring to older pre-formatted FAT 16 cards like the one that came with the 2880.

My point is, you cannot format the newer FAT 32 cards on the 2880 looper, All CF Card manufacturers dumped the FAT 16 format a few years back, You have to use a computer to re-format new cards as FAT 16. This can only be done on certain Windows Machines.

The problem for me was the 2880 only accepted FAT 16 cards, and was very finicky at that. The FAT 32 cards are pretty near impossible to re-format for use on the 2880. EXH kindly reformatted about a dozen new cards for me. When they were returned, only one of them worked in the 2880.

Also the old FAT 16 cards are extremely difficult to find.

With the new 45000 Looper, FAT 32 cards should work well without any format concerns. This floats my boat. I suspect that this is one of the reasons for the 2880 discontinue.

MattInVegas

Oh, yeah, you’re totally right. That is a draaaaaag. I made a few misbuys and have some cards that don’t work. The 2880 was clearly overdue for an update. I like having the reverse and octave functions on the foot pedal, but the expanded memory overshadows that unless you soundsculpt publicly on a semi-regular basis.

Ironically, I’d wind up having a lot more recording brainstorm sessions with the 48000 due to how many loops you can save. I wound up creating all my loops live with the 2880 anyway and never change cards, and haven’t really used it for backing tracks of effects yet. I am very intrigued by the possibilities the 48000 opens up for recording multiple loops live and being able to switch back and forth though. You should only be able to (numerically) switch up and down seamlessly, but the possibilities for improv and extended jams/mixes are practically infinite.

I couldn’t wait for the 4800. I’d have to hear the feeback about a new product that cost that much anyway before I bought it. No stores are going to carry it here.

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.