Home Forums Help/Technical Questions 2880 – Spazzing out memory card ?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    marclr17

Hi,

Never have problems to introduce CF cards in my 2880. I have use several CF cards builders, and no problem.
    Seems strange. Have you tryed to invert it ? :)

pharmonica

Invert it? Not sure what you mean… I’m not putting it in upside-down, if that’s what you mean.

marclr17

Yes.
    Sometimes, I do that error…
    Sorry if that do not help.

pharmonica

That’s cool… Yeah, it’s weird. It fits in the slot fine, but you can tell it’s not going in all the way. You know how you can feel it slide into place? I can’t see why it doesn’t, because it is exactly the same as the cards that fit.

This is only with the Transcend brand.

Sven Larsen

I’ve had some pretty similar problems to the ones described in this thread. I bought my 2880 used and it included the stock CF card, which worked perfectly for a couple months until it just died overnight—couldn’t play or record, or even enter “record ready” mode where the record light is blinking insanely fast. I ordered a Transcend brand 133x 2GB CF card and it made the 2880 functional again, but after a few hours it started glitching. Loops would include patches of silence upon playback that came out of nowhere but wouldn’t go away unless I erased the loop and started from scratch, sometimes very loud popping sounds would happen during loop playback, and sometimes fresh loops would include a random 1/2 second snippet of a previously recorded (and supposedly erased) loop. I read online somewhere that the 2880 can be picky about which cards it gets along with, so I ordered a different card—a SanDisk 2GB 100x. It worked like a charm, and I haven’t encountered any glitches since then…

Slightly disappointing that weird anomalies like this would exist in such a great (not to mention expensive!) piece of gear, but hey, those kinds of anomalies are part of the character of EHX effects… right? 8-)

sunsinger

Hi all, I’m a Newbie, and I apologize for jumping into the forum with a complaint.

I am having the same issues with cards. Any after market cards bought now, are pre-formatted Fat 32. I am a Mac user. I can’t get my Mac to format any other way than FAT 32. I don’t know any windows users.

It seems that if card formatting is such a buggy issue, and the 2880 being so fussy, then perhaps it is time to update the software. Just a suggestion. It has been 5 years since the last upgrade. Technology changes. Windows 8 is due out soon. It may not support FAT 16,

Just a thought…

I really don’t want to call all of my friends, to see if someone knows someone who owns a windows machine, and go
    journeying around town to see if I can find some kind soul to reformat my CF cards for me. FAT 32 is the new norm.

I don’t mean to poke anyone in the eye, but the 2880 may soon be an obsolete piece of gear sitting in my closet collecting dust. That is, unless someone makes it easier to deal with ever changing technology.

Now excuse me while I try to find someone who will help me format the six 2 GB 133x FAT 32 cards I just purchased.

Cryabetes
    Participant

you know, if you’re unhappy with your 2880, i’ll gladly take it off your hands. $20?

sunsinger
    Quote:
    you know, if you’re unhappy with your 2880, i’ll gladly take it off your hands. $20?

I love the 2880, but that’s just a smart ass answer to a real problem. Doesn’t help. It’s a real problem for me. You want to format my cards?

Cryabetes
    Participant

no. Go to a computer repair shop and ask if they’d do it. It shouldn’t be a big hassle to do. don’t want to go running around town? you’ve got an internet and, in all likelyhood, a phonebook.

sunsinger

The computer repair shop is a good idea, thanks. I’ll look into that.

I still think the question regarding a product (2880) software upgrade allowing a Fat 32 format is a reasonable question. It’s just a matter of time before FAT 16 goes away as a format. It’s something that should be addressed.

Remember the floppy disk? How about the Mini Disk? Try to find one now. The Dat, the Reel to Reel,. Quantegy was the last company to manufacture these… gone… just like Kodak.

Right now the CF Disk is almost a throwaway in the industry. It’s just a matter of time for those too. I’m buying them in lots of 6 at 9.99 a pop so I’ll have a functioning 2880 for a long time to come. And a nice loop library for performances.

I really do love it. I may get a 2nd one. I’ve got about 12 of EHX pedals. No complaints there.

Cryabetes
    Participant

you should check out some of the international shipping auctions on the ebay; I got a stack of 12 128MB cards for about 2.50 a pop from hong kong, just some generic, no name cards that were taking up space in someone’s stock list.
    I mean, formats come and formats go. I still use both 3.3v and 5.5v smart media cards in a couple of my samplers and while they’re not exactly convenient, they do last longer than the consumer/manufacturing lifespan would suggest. also, there’s always adapters and whatever. Really the only restriction is the software to format them, which, understandably, is not readily available on mac. personally, if I were you, I’d look into trying to get an old PC from around the windows 98/windows xp era that you use exclusively for legacy equipment support. Probably can be found or assembled fairly cheap, save for the monitor.

sunsinger

The Ebay auction sounds cool,,, Were the cards compatible with the 2880?

I have an old Canon camera that takes CF’s. I got a couple of CF cards to format on it that worked on the 2880. I had to trash a file that was for the camera. Not all of the cards I formatted this way work on the 2880, it’s really pretty fussy.

I also tried to format cards using a Tascam HD-P2 Digital recorder. It’s old enough to still format FAT 16. That didn’t work, it must be a proprietary format.

I guess this will have to be a chore that I set myself to, and format enough cards to last me awhile.

I still think that a software revision is in order. But I know how those go.

Thanks for your very helpful suggestions. I really appreciate your taking the time,

sunsinger
    Quote:
    no. Go to a computer repair shop and ask if they’d do it. It shouldn’t be a big hassle to do. don’t want to go running around town? you’ve got an internet and, in all likelyhood, a phonebook.

Ok , so I took your advice,I let my fingers do the walking (I do have a phone book). I phoned every computer repair shop in town here in Santa Fe. About 70% of them could not format FAT 16, even the Geek Squad at Best Buy.

The rest of them described an elaborate setup, dragging out an old computer, hooking it up to a Card Reader. Every one of these shops wanted a minimum of $75.00 to format my six CF cards. I paid $60 for the cards.

Then there’s the computer auctions on Ebay, I wouldn’t know what computer to hunt for that would format Fat 16. What make, model.
    Most computers this old still cost anywhere from $140.00 to 230.00, and what to order.
    This process is not as easy as is sounds. Maybe there is a way for me to send my cards to EHX and they will do it. This is nuts.

Not a problem folks? Think again.

fazmau

Hi, I’ve got the same problem whit 2880. It works for two or three sessions, and then something goes wrong. Replacing whit a new card resolves all problems, 2880 still works great.

Yesterdy I discovered I can reformat my unusable cards in fat16 format whit Mac snow leopard. You must use the terminal, whit a command line, but it is simple, fast, it works, and my cards still working. The command is newfs_msdos -v FAT16 -F 16 /dev/rdisk1, where rdisk1 is the name of your card mounted on mac. Be careful to use the right name of the disk.
    This is a guide in italian language:

1) Senza montare la memory card (cioè senza inserirla nel lettore), aprite il programma Terminale (Applicazioni/Utility/Terminale) e, per maggior sicurezza, verificate quanti dischi avete collegato al vostro Mac digitando il comando:
    ls /dev/rdisk?
    Il risultato è come questo:
    Per spiegare questa procedura, nel mio caso ho provveduto a lasciare montato il solo disco di sistema (rdisk0), ed il mio Mac si chiama imac-di-luca.
    2) Adesso montate la memory card e digitate ancora nel Terminale lo stesso
    comando (potete usare la freccia verso l’alto per ripeterlo):
    ls /dev/rdisk?
    Come si vede, c’eÌ€ un secondo disco chiamato rdisk1, che eÌ€ la memory card da formattare.
    3) Lasciando aperto Terminale (che serviraÌ€ ancora) aprite il programma Utility Disco (Applicazioni/Utility/Utility Disco) e selezionate il volume da formattare (in questo esempio la memory card si chiama LEICA_2) e dal menuÌ€ fate: Archivio/Disattiva “LEICA_2?.
    blog di LucaCattaneo.net – pagina 32 di 3
    44) Tornate nel programma Terminale e digitate il comando per formattare la memory card:
    newfs_msdos -v FAT16 -F 16 /dev/rdisk1
    In pochissimo la memory card è formattata ed il risultato è come in questo esempio, dove ho formattato una SanDisk SD da 2GB.:
    5) Tornate in Utility Disco e, dopo aver selezionato il volume della memory card, dal menù fate: Archivio/Espelli disco. Ora rimuovete fisicamente la memory card dal lettore.
    6) Rimontate la memory card e come potete vedere dall’immagine, il sistema l’ha formattata e rinominata FAT16. A questo punto la potete rinominare per un uso piuÌ€ pratico e la potete smontare e rimuovere dal lettore, la procedura eÌ€ finita. Da ultimo ricordo di fare attenzione agli spazi ed alle maiuscole quando scrivete in Terminale.

MattInVegas

I bought a bunch of cards on ebay and about half of them work. Will go through when work allows and post what works and what doesn’t. I am so sorry I ordered the cards and did not give ebay feedback right away about the ones that didn’t work.

I’m sure cards will not be part of the next looper.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.