Home Forums Help/Technical Questions 2880 – Spazzing out memory card ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    freshchops

Got’ta start by saying I’m in love with my new 2880, and has quickly become my favorite piece of gear…. in a “Where has it been my whole life” kinda way.

I’ve only used the stock memory card it’s come with up until now but it’s been getting kinda glitchy lately. Some examples of what it does would be:

1. For the first completion / playback of a new loop, it will play a few seconds of the previous loop prior to queing the current recording. This will resolve if I stop the loop and start it over, but for some reason it retains the previous one off the bat. This isn’t a major ordeal, but in preparing for live applications, has me nervous.

2. I recorded about a minute long loop. When playing it back, it made some vicious popping noises about half way through and reverted back to playing a loop I had recorded about 6 new loops ago. This was constant and not resolved by stopping and restarting the loop. Scary thought in the event I lay down that “magic” loop……

I’ve since switched to using an aftermarket CF card. It’s a pro performance card w/ 133X speed. I haven’t encountered any of those problems yet with the 2nd card. I’ve got a feeling that the problems with the factory card are that it’s become cluttered, so I guess my question would be:

Is there a recommended maintenance step to take to assure that card stays clean…. like reformatting the cards every so often?

I’m using a Mac OSX and have connected the card on occasion to back up loops but simply eject the card and back into the 2880 it goes, with original files.

Are the stock cards suspect to quality or dependability issues? the problems seem digital / read-write related opposed to mechanically related to the 2880……

….. and aside from the occasional glitchy memory card thing, this is a brilliant piece or equipment! I love this thing!!

julian

It very well could be that the after-market card is better. I’ve seen others post that they have had similar problems with the stock one and OSX.

BTW, this doesn’t have anything to do with the memory card, but make sure your 2880 software is current. The latest update has placed the 2880 on my radar of pedals I need to buy. http://www.ehx.com/products/2880

freshchops
    Quote:
    It very well could be that the after-market card is better. I’ve seen others post that they have had similar problems with the stock one and OSX.

BTW, this doesn’t have anything to do with the memory card, but make sure your 2880 software is current. The latest update has placed the 2880 on my radar of pedals I need to buy. http://www.ehx.com/products/2880

We’ll see, I’ll stick to the aftermarket cards for now (bought 4 of ’em). On the OSX subject, I’m actually removing the card, connecting it to a card reader straight into the Mac. I always power down the 2880 before and after. I vaguely remember that the manual always referred to connecting it via the USB w/ the card in the 2880. I can’t imagine it being a problem and seems like it more or less re-formats, for a new session, every time you press “NEW LOOP”…. which is like “erasing or reformatting”.

As far as the update, thanks for the heads up. It recommends the update for purchases prior to June ’08. I bought mine about 3 weeks ago, new, from musiciansfriend. Should be up to date, but I’ll connect it and see.

If you don’t already own a 2880, I’d place it HIGH UP ON YOUR RADAR, but then again it’s a great compilation tool (emphasis on “Compile”). If you’re into multi tasking, dubbing, etc. it’s a must, but if you like to just play your parts, it might not get too used.

julian

It is very high on my list.

All the midi capabilities is really nice. I use an SMMH, and I hate having to bend over to reverse or change pitch. Being able to do so with a midi foot controller would be really nice.

electro-melx

Card readers in computers can be sketchy, I would definetly recommend using a USB cable to connect if that’s what recommended in the manual.

meristem

I am curious what specific brand/ model aftermarket cards people have been using for the 2880. My factory supplied card is still functional but I would like to pickup some extra cards for the future.

I bought a Kingston brand 2gb card, formatted it using windows XP and have had lots of weird issues using it. It will record the first loop, won’t record after that. The punch-in button lights up, and then the unit becomes entirely unresponsive. I also tested the card in my camera, and it worked fine for photos…

Everything is back to normal after switching back to the factory supplied card in the 2880. It would be great if anyone could tell me exactly what aftermarket cards they have had success with. I want to avoid buying another seemingly compatible card.

thanks

B.Daws
    Participant

I have two cards (the original and some other no name one) and as long as you follow the formatting instructions in the book it works fine. Just make sure you format it to the correct file system it states!!!

meristem

Thanks for the reply…

I have tried formatting three different after market compact flash cards that i have kicking around… all of them are 2gb or under, all formatted and reformatted as fat 16 using windows xp and then tried again with gpartition in linux. Just one of them works correctly in the 2880 other than the factory supplied card. All of them work fine in my camera.

From what i can tell the 2880, or mine atleast, seems picky about what cards it functions well with.

I would really appreciate it if anyone could vouch for a specific brand/model of flash card that they have had success with.
    Thanks

Psklpt
    Quote:
    I am curious what specific brand/ model aftermarket cards people have been using for the 2880. My factory supplied card is still functional but I would like to pickup some extra cards for the future.

I bought a Kingston brand 2gb card, formatted it using windows XP and have had lots of weird issues using it. It will record the first loop, won’t record after that. The punch-in button lights up, and then the unit becomes entirely unresponsive. I also tested the card in my camera, and it worked fine for photos…

Everything is back to normal after switching back to the factory supplied card in the 2880. It would be great if anyone could tell me exactly what aftermarket cards they have had success with. I want to avoid buying another seemingly compatible card.

thanks

Man I don’t know if I have to say that I am happy or sad to hear this!!
    Actually I had the SAME PROBLEM and I thought it had to be with the 2880 but actually ALL the other CF cards apart from the one provided DO NOT WORK (punch-in blinking, unresponsive,etc…)

Once the unit goes mad with a “wrong card” you need to turn it off (power supply) and turn it on again with the “good card”.

THIS IS NOT NORMAL!! EHX should give us an explanation and tell us which card to buy!!!

By the way, i tried ALL formatting, erased, re-erased, reformatted, etc…….nothing worked
    Best,

Alex

electro-melx
    Quote:
    Man I don’t know if I have to say that I am happy or sad to hear this!!
    Actually I had the SAME PROBLEM and I thought it had to be with the 2880 but actually ALL the other CF cards apart from the one provided DO NOT WORK (punch-in blinking, unresponsive,etc…)

Once the unit goes mad with a “wrong card” you need to turn it off (power supply) and turn it on again with the “good card”.

THIS IS NOT NORMAL!! EHX should give us an explanation and tell us which card to buy!!!

By the way, i tried ALL formatting, erased, re-erased, reformatted, etc…….nothing worked
    Best,

Alex

When I bought my Tascam 8-track there was a list of tested CF cards on the website, so I guess there are problems with some cards in certain equipment, I agree that EHX should at least have a small list of ‘recommended cards’ somewhere.

also make sure the cards are genuine products, there’s a lot of iffy looking cards on ebay and amazon.

if you have tried several cards without success then I would guess that there is some sort of formatting error happening… but I culdn’t say for sure.

Psklpt

Hi!

Thanks for answering ;)

You’re right, we should have a list of the “recommended” ones (but some people seem to have the opposite problem (stock card not working and others yes >> see 1st post on this topic).

I am sure my cards are genuine ones (Apple Store in Paris). I tried Kingston, SanDisk, etc…..

I formatted on a Mac (Fat16) so maybe that s the problem? Maybe they sould be formated on a PC…. I know it sounds stupid but I’m so despaired i could try anything…..

Psklpt

OK so I have found the SOLUTION !!

I borrowed my dad’s PC (Windows7) and formated the CF card in FAT 16 but the “secret” for it to work properly is the “Allocation space” (sorry I’m translating from french ;) )

So here are the instructions:

_Insert the CF card into your PC.
    _Open “Computer”
    _Right-click on your CF card icon
    _select “Formatting”
    _Now you have “Capacity”, “Format”, and “Allocation space” >> this is where you have to CHOOSE 64k if your CF card can handle it (some of my cards don’t – they are limited to 32k)
    Of course in “Format” choose simply “Fat”

There you go :)

Good Luck

electro-melx
    Quote:
    OK so I have found the SOLUTION !!

I borrowed my dad’s PC (Windows7) and formated the CF card in FAT 16 but the “secret” for it to work properly is the “Allocation space” (sorry I’m translating from french ;) )

So here are the instructions:

_Insert the CF card into your PC.
    _Open “Computer”
    _Right-click on your CF card icon
    _select “Formatting”
    _Now you have “Capacity”, “Format”, and “Allocation space” >> this is where you have to CHOOSE 64k if your CF card can handle it (some of my cards don’t – they are limited to 32k)
    Of course in “Format” choose simply “Fat”

There you go :)

Good Luck

Thanks hopefully that will help people out.

Psklpt

I received this answer from EHX :

“There are a few CF Card specifications that you need to look for: the
    card must be between 128MB and 2GB and the card speed must be 40X or
    greater. The 2880 will not be able to use card sizes outside of that
    range. The San Disk Ultra II series is above 40X and so is the Lexar
    Platinum II Series.”

But with the method i used (“Allocation Space”) it worked with a Lexar 133x 4GB (that did not work before the method was applied)

So in a nutshell,

_Use at least 40x speed CF cards.
    _Format with the “Allocation method” (64k)
    _Enjoy :)

Best,

Alex

pharmonica

Anyone else have a problem with a memory card that physically doesn’t seem to fit in the 2880? I have Transcend brand cards that don’t work, even though they are identical in size and shape to the cards that work fine (QMemory, stock card)…

I tried formatting, but computer doesn’t even recognize there’s a card in there. The slot doesn’t seem to “catch” the card the same way as others, and I don’t want to jam it in there too hard. Am I nuts? Is it just the Transcend brand?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.