Home Forums EHX News 2009 Summer NAMM

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    julian

:doh: You’re right, I was thinking the depth of something designed for chorus and vibrato wouldn’t have the proper depth for flanging because everyone likes wide flange sweeps as opposed to more shallow ones but I forgot that the shorter the delay, the more impact a miniscule change has. So thus depth wouldn’t be important.

Can the delay get short enough to at least get into the bathroom verb range? Basically- can I do this with it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSl3NzW62iw

julian
    Quote:
    Hey Flick, can you clarify what some of the differences between the new memory boy and the DMM XO are? Different delay time? Different sound quality?

Thanks!

I think they most likely sound different, but I’ll second the delay time question.

julian

it seems the delay time question was already answered on HCFX- 550ms supposedly. This was from the same guy that had the expression pedal scoop, so I’d think it’s accurate.

3pdt
    Participant

Hello, I don’t understand why everyone is so excited for the new memory pedals. When I first saw them I got really excited because I need a new analog delay, but after 2 seconds I realised that they will be in SMD just like they did with the deluxe memory man in smaller chassis. Why buy an analog delay if it’s made with SMD? It has no sense. BUT, if they are not SMD then GREAT!

electro-melx
    Quote:
    Hello, I don’t understand why everyone is so excited for the new memory pedals. When I first saw them I got really excited because I need a new analog delay, but after 2 seconds I realised that they will be in SMD just like they did with the deluxe memory man in smaller chassis. Why buy an analog delay if it’s made with SMD? It has no sense. BUT, if they are not SMD then GREAT!

Pardon?

….there are many advantages to use SMD’s it really makes no sense to make mass produced pedals with through hole components these days.

“Why buy an analog delay if it’s made with SMD? It has no sense.” …….. care to elaborate for people that don’t understand what you are saying? (including me!!)

julian

It’s still analog. It’s not like being SMD makes it digital. It just uses small machine mounted parts.

nightraven

i wonder what the difference in sound quality is between panasonic and chinese copies of panasonics

Quote:
    :

Can the delay get short enough to at least get into the bathroom verb range? Basically- can I do this with it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSl3NzW62iw

The minimum delay time is 30 mS which is I think a little longer than the guitar at the beginning of that song. The max tim is 550 mS.

3pdt
    Participant

I personally build most of my effects and just buy a few and by building them I know that there is a difference between using a cheap electrolyte and a philips one, this just to make an example. When I build my effects I choose carefully the right components, if it’s a vintage one I use ceramic cond instead of film ones and carbon composition resistors instead of metal ones, etc..etc.. Now if I’m using a pedal built which SMD (which is super cheap) I can hear it, there is a clear difference, sounds sharp and not very expressive. In fact I think the carbon copy delay is a bad pedal. I know SMD makes it possible to put effects in smaller boxes but I prefer to have less effects and more quality if the sound is so unusable.

julian

I’ve played SMD pedals of varying quality, from crap to great. I’m sure it affects the sound versus carbon or metal film, but there’s still good stuff.

janusEffect
    Quote:
    I personally build most of my effects and just buy a few and by building them I know that there is a difference between using a cheap electrolyte and a philips one, this just to make an example. When I build my effects I choose carefully the right components, if it’s a vintage one I use ceramic cond instead of film ones and carbon composition resistors instead of metal ones, etc..etc.. Now if I’m using a pedal built which SMD (which is super cheap) I can hear it, there is a clear difference, sounds sharp and not very expressive. In fact I think the carbon copy delay is a bad pedal. I know SMD makes it possible to put effects in smaller boxes but I prefer to have less effects and more quality if the sound is so unusable.

That has less to do with SMD as a whole, and more to do with the design and manufacturer. A cheaply made and poorly designed pedal is a cheaply made and poorly designed pedal, regardless of whether or not the components are SMD. It just so happens that it’s cheaper to use SMD nowadays for these terrible designs. They are not the cause of said poor quality, however. SMD is the standard for digital devices for a reason.

Being an effects junkie and a bass player, I’ve used a lot of pedals over the past few years. Some of the digital ones I’ve used sound far better than comparable analog ones. I don’t understand the origin of your “unusable sound” belief, nor have I heard this “sharpness” and “lack of expression” you describe. I’ve never heard something that appalling which used SMD (although I’m sure some plenty of terrible SMD-based pedals exist). I can’t say the same about traditional components, but again, it’s all about design and sonic preferences.

The types of parts used and their properties can have some impact on the sound of an effect, but this in no way suggests that SMD is perpetually inferior. If you really do believe that, you may as well throw out most of your electronic equipment, since SMDs are everywhere. ;)

dmc777

Ummm….what is SMD lol?

julian
    julian
    Quote:
    Quote:
    My questions:

V256:
    -what do the drone modes do?
    -what does reflex tune mode do?
    -what does instrument control mode do?
    -what does transposition mode do?

The V256 has two optional internal synthesizers so that you don’t need to have an instrument plugged in to start vocoding. The three Robo sounds (which are all identical) have a synth that makes you sound like a robot. The drone modes have a synth that is more like an organ.

Single Drone is one note, Major drone is a major triad or chord and Minor drone is a minor triad or chord. Turning the Pitch knob in all 6 vocoder modes will set the pitch of the internal synth. Turning this knob fully CCW clockwise will turn off the internal synth so you can use external instruments. You can also use MIDI to control the internal synths.

The bottom three modes are all pitch shifters.

Reflex Tune is automatic pitch correction based on the scale you set it to or the chord you play on your instrument.

Transposition is simply pitch shifting your vocals by a fixed amount, +/- 1 octave.

Instrument Control mode allows you to pitch shift your vocals to whatever pitch your instrument is playing. It is a monophonic effect. Play an E note on your guitar, no matter what note you sing into the effect it will output the same E note your guitar is playing.

I just noticed this. That makes it the first MIDI controllable XO pedal. :D

ghost

Good lord, I’m going to have to get that Vocoder box as well!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.