Home Forums EHX News 2009 Summer NAMM

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    julian

Why can’t the Memory Boy be 100 dollars?

If Malekko can sell the 616 for 150
    and MXR can sell the Carbon copy for 150
    and Behringer can make the Vintage Time Machine or whatever it’s called for 60
    and BYOC can sell kits for 150

Why couldn’t the Memory Boy be 100 dollars?

I think it’s fairly obvious that they aren’t going to use NOS chips in the Memory Boy. When you’re not using NOS chips, the prohibitive cost of making analog delays is eliminated.

John J
    Quote:
    Why can’t the Memory Boy be 100 dollars?

If Malekko can sell the 616 for 150
    and MXR can sell the Carbon copy for 150
    and Behringer can make the Vintage Time Machine or whatever it’s called for 60
    and BYOC can sell kits for 150

Why couldn’t the Memory Boy be 100 dollars?

the only reason i can see is because the memory toy will be 100 bones. anyhow, that one seems more the answer to the carbon copy: to me, same effect + same size + same controls + same intended buyer demographic suggests a similar price point.

mind you, it may be a $100 boy with a $60 toy, depending on how much delay time each one has. if they’re both 600 ms and the only difference is the added controls on the MB, the rumored price is entirely plausible.

fwiw, i thought the memory toy was a typo right up until i saw the picture a few minutes ago so it wouldn’t surprise me at all if someone said the boy would be $100 but they meant to say toy.

anyhow! i cannot freaking wait for that cathedral! i had the holiest grail for three days before deciding it had to go back. not because it was bad, but because i wanted to see what’s coming next. that’s actually the same mentality keeping me out of the pog2, i want to see what they’re going to answer the hog with. mind you, i may just get impatient and go for it – that’s what summers are for, right?

now, just out of curiosity…

how many new products have been revealed in the last year? off the top of my head i’m counting just shy of a dozen, more if you include the straight rehousings, but i cant seem to remember how long ago some of these pedals debuted so that figure may be a bit off. the bass muff and friends came a few months after the hazarai and micro pog, right?

ghost

So maybe the MBoy will be $100 – if it is, I’m curious to the sound of it!? Also VERY excited about it.

My new prediction is Memory Boy/Toy Late & Vocoder August/Sept, Cathedral October/November. This is based on the price list sent out, and the fact that the POG2, Enigma, & Riddle were all one exactly month late.

julian

I’d think if there was a typo, we’d know by now. They would have said something to a dealer, and one of them would have spilled.

After all, Memory Toy was spilled by a dealer who was told about it by an EH rep on the phone. The rep could have made a price correction at the same time.

I don’t think the Memory Toy and Boy’s prices are going to differ too much.

WatsonWood

I seem to have pinged back from another planet….what great pedals!!! There I was waiting for a Voice Box, now I will be running to the store to ask them to slow down. The Vocoder looks extremely serious. I wonder what sounds the Drone modi will be producing. Can’t wait….

Tap/Infinite on the Cathedral. Winchester or Notre Dame?

benglass
    Participant
    Quote:
    The expression pedal controls delay time when the rate switch is set to either Vibrato or Chorus modes. Set the switch to EXP. PEDAL mode and the expression pedal controls the modulation rate.

is this official info?

electro-melx
    Quote:
    Quote:
    The expression pedal controls delay time when the rate switch is set to either Vibrato or Chorus modes. Set the switch to EXP. PEDAL mode and the expression pedal controls the modulation rate.

is this official info?

…. I’ve been told it’s correct info, but i’m not an official spokesperson for EHX.

benglass
    Participant
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:

is this official info?

…. I’ve been told it’s correct info, but i’m not an official spokesperson for EHX.

it’ll be awesome if its true :)

julian
    Quote:
    Quote:

is this official info?

It came from someone on Harmony-Central who said he talked to Chip, who is an EH employee. So it’s not official info, but the guy on HCFX cited a credible source.

mirrorball
    soonermatt

2q390lf.gif

If you’ll excuse me, I need to do some pedalboard measurements. The MB is mine come August XD

julian

:D

nice gif!

I like when I’m wrong about these kind of things.

Quote:
    My questions:

Cathedral:
    -what does infinite do?

V256:
    -what do the drone modes do?
    -what does reflex tune mode do?
    -what does instrument control mode do?
    -what does transposition mode do?

Memory Boy:
    -what does the expression mode control?

Infinite, on the Cathedral, is basically a reverb that never decays. So it’s like freezing a note. When you enter infinite mode while holding down the TAP FSW, it will block the input of the reverb section so you can’t add more notes to the infinite though you can play over the frozen notes. If you set the reverb time to infinite by using the Reverb knob, you can put as many notes or sounds into the infinite reverb as you want.

Quote:
    My questions:

V256:
    -what do the drone modes do?
    -what does reflex tune mode do?
    -what does instrument control mode do?
    -what does transposition mode do?

The V256 has two optional internal synthesizers so that you don’t need to have an instrument plugged in to start vocoding. The three Robo sounds (which are all identical) have a synth that makes you sound like a robot. The drone modes have a synth that is more like an organ.

Single Drone is one note, Major drone is a major triad or chord and Minor drone is a minor triad or chord. Turning the Pitch knob in all 6 vocoder modes will set the pitch of the internal synth. Turning this knob fully CCW clockwise will turn off the internal synth so you can use external instruments. You can also use MIDI to control the internal synths.

The bottom three modes are all pitch shifters.

Reflex Tune is automatic pitch correction based on the scale you set it to or the chord you play on your instrument.

Transposition is simply pitch shifting your vocals by a fixed amount, +/- 1 octave.

Instrument Control mode allows you to pitch shift your vocals to whatever pitch your instrument is playing. It is a monophonic effect. Play an E note on your guitar, no matter what note you sing into the effect it will output the same E note your guitar is playing.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.