Home Forums Help/Technical Questions 8 step program questions

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Brian Geigner
    Participant

I need help with the 8 step…kind of sorry that I bought it now, explain to me as basic as possible to connect to it…I was watching the videos and I do not own any other EH pedals…so I have to now buy an expression pedal now..I’m confused..seriousy thinking about returning it

DiscoFreq

You don’t need an expression pedal for it, you need pedals with an expression pedal input.

The 8 Step Program replaces the expression pedal by a sequencer.

markxus25

Can anyone help me with my 8 Step. First, the Mode knob turns on all three mode LED’s, which then all start flashing, as I am trying to follow directions “press mode knob until (mode LED you want to change) comes on.” Is it just…defective? I can’t get it to cycle thru the three modes, that is one mode LED at a time.

Also I plugged it into my Korg MS20, into the “CV In” socket. This seems to disable the keyboard, I get only one note whichever key I press on keyboard. I do get it to play an arpeggio, but only for that one note. I can repeat the arpeggio, and change tempo, but it only plays…one arpeggio. Is this all it does???

Thanks, Mark

DiscoFreq

With the MS-20: if you plug into the “CV In” that controls the oscillator, you bypass the keyboard, so the oscillator is only controlled by the 8 Step (same thing happens when you connect the pitch wheel’s CV out to that “CV In”).

markxus25

Thanks for getting back to me, that explains a lot! I went back and plugged the unit into the VCO 2 CV In, instead of the CV In for both VCO’s, and was able to get some good repetitive loop effects thru the VCO 2, while playing the keyboard thru the VCO1.

The rep at E-H was nice enough to answer my email the same day, unfortunately he indicated the unit is defective due to the problems I had with the Mode switch. After re-booting a few times, including a factory re-set, I did get it to work properly for a bit, but don’t know if it will freeze up on my again. So back to the retailer it goes…

Thanks, Mark

Quote:
    I need help with the 8 step…kind of sorry that I bought it now, explain to me as basic as possible to connect to it…I was watching the videos and I do not own any other EH pedals…so I have to now buy an expression pedal now..I’m confused..seriousy thinking about returning it

I think I got the solution, because I have the same problem as you. The 8-step program doesn’t need an expression pedal, it is an expression pedal. That means that you use it to control certain parameters. I suppose that at first you wanted to program 8 notes to make a melody that repeats over and over again. If that’s correct, the parameter we need to control is pitch. I’ve been searching pedals with pitch parameter that can be controlled by an expression pedal and the cheapest one I found is Behringer US600 ultra shifter/harmonist. You connect the 8-step into the CV input of that pedal and have fun!! I’ll leave you a link to the pedal’s website, and a video where the pitch is controlled by an expression pedal (not the 8 step program, but I think you’ll get the idea)

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/US600.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuI2IC9gtWM

EDIT: I WAS WRONG. IT DOES NOT WORK. The Boss PS-5 worked for me. (not the ps-6, not compatible)

beso_q
    Participant

Hi everybody,

Can you explain to me what appliance is needed to plug a guitar into 8 step prog sequencer? I don’t know much about sequencers and need some help. Thank you in advance.

Beso

R. Gómez

Hi, I want to connect the 8 step program to a Behringer pitch shifter (Behringer us600) into the expresion pedal input, i need to know before to buy the Behringer (i thought to buy it tomorrow or maximum the next day) if there is compatibility between the two devices. I didn’t see Behringer in the list of compatibility.

Thanks in advance!

Quote:
    Hi, I want to connect the 8 step program to a Behringer pitch shifter (Behringer us600) into the expresion pedal input, i need to know before to buy the Behringer (i thought to buy it tomorrow or maximum the next day) if there is compatibility between the two devices. I didn’t see Behringer in the list of compatibility.

Thanks in advance!

OMG DON’T DO THAT!! I tried the behringer with the 8-step and it does not work, they are not compatible.
    The BOSS PS-5 did the trick for me, that is the only compatible BOSS pitch shifter. The PS-6 is a newer version and is not compatible, for whatever reason.
    Another option is the EHX pitchfork. At the time of me posting on this thread, the pedal was still not released, but now I would say it’s the safest option. Same brand as the 8-step and people say it has nice tracking.
    I know this two options are not as affordable as the Behringer one, it’s a bummer, but if you are lucky you may find a used PS-5 for a good price. I ended up spending many hours with it, It’s super fun either if you plug the 8-step or not.
    I hope I helped you out, I’ll be happy to answer if you have more questions.

EDIT: the BOSS PS-3 also works fine

R. Gómez

Thank you for the answer!. Precisely I was between the Behringer and a used PS-5 that i had already found!. It was very useful to know in time.

Best regards.

Fender&EHX4ever
    Quote:
    Quote:

Thanks in advance!

OMG DON’T DO THAT!! I tried the behringer with the 8-step and it does not work, they are not compatible.
    The BOSS PS-5 did the trick for me, that is the only compatible BOSS pitch shifter. The PS-6 is a newer version and is not compatible, for whatever reason.
    Another option is the EHX pitchfork. At the time of me posting on this thread, the pedal was still not released, but now I would say it’s the safest option. Same brand as the 8-step and people say it has nice tracking.
    I know this two options are not as affordable as the Behringer one, it’s a bummer, but if you are lucky you may find a used PS-5 for a good price. I ended up spending many hours with it, It’s super fun either if you plug the 8-step or not.

I use the 8 step on a BOSS PS-3. It’s one of my favorite pedal combos.

Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:

Thanks in advance!

I use the 8 step on a BOSS PS-3. It’s one of my favorite pedal combos.

then I need to get hold of one, thanks for sharing!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.