Home Forums Help/Technical Questions .44 and MIG 50 died

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    bwe243
    Participant

I bought a new MIG 50 from Amazon–and a few days ago I went to play, and when turning the standby on heard a pop-like sound (similar to a cable being plugged in) and then noticed no sound coming from the amp. I check the fuse, and it had blown. I replaced with the correct part, and when I turned it on again (by using the standby) it made a lot of noise, and cut off again. I didn’t even have a guitar plugged in and the volume was all the way down.

I thought maybe I blew a tube–but this amp was purchased at the begging of the new year. It has only been a month! I thought tunes lasted longer–if that is the case. I have contacted EHX via the info-email link, but haven’t heard anything. I just want to know how to send it back for repairs. This is especially frustrating because I bought a .44 caliber as a back up for a Marshall I had–and the .44 started to cut in and out on me! So the MIG 50 was bought to replace that unit! I used both of them as instructed and am not a new player.

I run all EHX pedals and they have worked great–but I almost ready to throw in the towel with all of them over this. Any advice?

EHX STAFF
    Keymaster

Wow very sorry to hear this. Maybe a tube was damaged in shipping?
    When did you contact EHX. They are closed on the weekends.
    I will forward this message to them on Monday.
    Again very sorry for your trouble.

bwe243
    Participant

Thanks! It was Thursday (2/2/17). Yes please, have someone contact me on Monday. Email would work best–and I can call a contact number if I need to answer any questions. The amp could have gotten damaged during shipping, as the vendor didn’t do the greatest job with packaging–but it worked AOK for about a full month and say 8+ hours of play time. Look forward to hearing from you!

Furiouswang

Did your issue get fixed? I’m having the exact same problem. Bought the amp brand new, worked great, blows fuses now when power is applied.

bwe243
    Participant
    Quote:
    Did your issue get fixed? I’m having the exact same problem. Bought the amp brand new, worked great, blows fuses now when power is applied.

Yes I did, but I actually had to send the amp back twice for repair. I had it blow a fuse too. The apparently rewired the circuit board, and it was “burned in” over a long weekend by Mike {Matthews}, apparently. That being said the amp has been great and very reliable. I did have a knob come loose on it, but I tightened it up. I use it for practice (3 hrs p/w) and gig with it–6 or 7 live shows so far.

EHX was very good about fixing it for me, so reach out to them.

brown573
    Participant

Hey, I had bought an EHX MIG-50 from a store in Grand Rapids, MI, and it had a bunch of rattling screws within the enclosure, and soon stopped working completely. Then, I had it exchanged for another MIG-50, but it does what the earlier post on here said. There is a loud pop-like sound and it just dies. No sound comes through it. Being the second MIG-50 this has happened to, I’m very frustrated. Is there any way this can be permanently fixed, or should I just send it back for good?

EHX STAFF
    Keymaster

Please contact the techs on Monday at info@ehx.com 9-5 M-F Nyc time

bwe243
    Participant

This was a post from back in October 2017–ever since I had to send the amp back, twice–but its been working great no issues. Same with the .44. Now at practice, our bass players amp went out, so we used it to power a 8×10 Ampeg cab–it did okay, but seemed to be maxing out at about mid-volume.

I get a lot of people asking about the amp. And, I do tell them I had problems, but I also say its been great since the fix, and no issues. I did have a knob work loose, but fixed it. Then amp is a key part of my sound–and I use all EHX pedals. Generally my rig is reliable! You can here it here on our latest recording.

https://dirteater1.bandcamp.com/album/duality-ride

I use an 80’s Guild M-80 with Dimarzio XR7s…

JereEHX
    Quote:
    This was a post from back in October 2017–ever since I had to send the amp back, twice–but its been working great no issues. Same with the .44. Now at practice, our bass players amp went out, so we used it to power a 8×10 Ampeg cab–it did okay, but seemed to be maxing out at about mid-volume.

I get a lot of people asking about the amp. And, I do tell them I had problems, but I also say its been great since the fix, and no issues. I did have a knob work loose, but fixed it. Then amp is a key part of my sound–and I use all EHX pedals. Generally my rig is reliable! You can here it here on our latest recording.

https://dirteater1.bandcamp.com/album/duality-ride

I use an 80’s Guild M-80 with Dimarzio XR7s…

Nice fat sounds out of the amp, congrats!

JamesOliver123
    Participant

It looks like basically this exact same thing just happened to my newly purchased MIG-50.

EHX STAFF
    Keymaster

Please contact the techs on Monday at info@ehx.com 9-5 M-F Nyc time

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘.44 and MIG 50 died’ is closed to new replies.