Home Forums Help/Technical Questions 2880 CF can’t format after blunder

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    tcmnut

I accidentally formatted a 2 gb Lexar cf with fat32 instaed of fat16 and now it locks up windows explorer and the unit (except tempo)… is there a master reset (factory ) procedure to quick format the cf ? I don’t have a 5 in 1 media reader of anything else that uses cf. These cards are very expensive and difficult to find. Thanks.

Tony

julian

Did you try another computer?

tcmnut
    Quote:
    Did you try another computer?

Yes I did as you suggested although I can’t see the reasoning behind that one and again complete the same result.

I then went into the computer managemnt area of xp disk management and it saw the ‘drive’ as 1.85 gb and when I tried to format it it hung. So again my question is – is there a low level format hidden or service preocedure for the CF card . . perhaps I should e-mail ehx directly I’m not sure they read these forums or not.

Thanks for trying to help, in the meantime I’ll try to find someone who has a media reader – I knew I’d have t obuy one of those darned things one day ..hehe

Tony

tcmnut

I downloaded Imgae Rescue 3 s/w from Lexar – it’s free !

I succesfully formatted the cf card and now it’s testing it ..real slooooooooow.

I’ll report back if this works.

julian

EHX staff members do read these forums and respond :)
    us volunteers just usually respond first

tcmnut
    Quote:
    EHX staff members do read these forums and respond :)
    us volunteers just usually respond first

ah I see, sorry if it sounded like I was compaining , really I wasn’t heheh…

btw even the Lexar utility didn’t do the trick -well sorta .. it did format the flash card but in windows it reports it’s not formatted when I try to access it . ..so I tried to format it to FAT (16) by right clicking and it starts but hangs .. seems this thing is toast ! But I ‘m not giving up I’m going to a friends tonight who have a media reader (writer ?) .. last resort is to buy one of my own.

I don’t know why I decided to format this thing, it was a dumb, very dumb move.
    It’s obvious I have little experience with CF cards, are these things always this fussy or did I just get a dud ?

pardon my dyslexic typing err I mean tyslexic dyping.

electro-melx
    Quote:
    I don’t know why I decided to format this thing, it was a dumb, very dumb move.
    It’s obvious I have little experience with CF cards, are these things always this fussy or did I just get a dud ?

Hi I have no experience with the 2880 but I have a Tascam 8track (DP02-CF) that records onto Compact Flash and I’ve never had a problem, but on that formatting options are on the actual unit, so you can create partitions and reformat in the unit itself, I bought a bigger 8gb CF card for it and when I put it in the unit a ‘formatting wizard’ type thing came up and guided you through the formatting process…..anyway sorry I know this is no help at all, but I just wanted to say I’ve had no trouble with either the original 1gb card (no brand) I got with it or the 8gb (sandisk ultraII) I bought off ebay.

donthefox

Well, have you tried… the command line? (windows key + r)
    Try this, instructions here: http://www.ss64.com/nt/format.html
    Report back!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.