Home Forums Ideas / Suggestions / Feedback 22 Caliber is genuis. Now we need a 50 Caliber.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Jblaze

The 22 is great, but I need cleaner at higher volumes. A 50 should be perfect. You should also add a on/off switch. Keep up the good work guys.

Fender&EHX4ever

Yep, the 22 is awesome! Great crunchy tones when dimed!

I can get a bit more clean volume using a compressor, but not 50 watts worth.

Jblaze

I’ll have to try that, thanks. I just love the fact that I can just take it, and a Metal Muff to jam with friends. Its the perfect “amp” for jamming, and practice.

Jblaze

Generally a 4X12 Marshall.

joed424

like i’ve said before, we need an XO or pog2 size box w/ a .50 caliber w/ a 12ax7 and a el34

electro-melx

you could always run 2x.22 calibers into a 4×12 cab in stereo. :)

Fender&EHX4ever

I use mine to power a 12″ speaker in my Cordovox rotating speaker cab (same as a Vibratone).

I’ve also used it to power an 8″ speaker in an old Squier 15 cab w/ the electronics gutted.

Both sounded great, for different purposes.

fen-squier15-frontman-shell.jpg

julian
    Quote:
    like i’ve said before, we need an XO or pog2 size box w/ a .50 caliber w/ a 12ax7 and a el34

An EL34 would require a couple of transformers and would take it way beyond what a double XO could do.

A 50 caliber would be cool in the double XO though. . . say: gain, volume, low, mid, high, and give it active and passive inputs for good measure, along with two speaker outputs.

Mr.Grim

i know what people are asking for here. a year ago i was looking all over online for a mini tube amp project to work on, and i did see a couple people who actualy built mini tube amps with one or two tubes sticking out of the top of a pedal box like the Black Finger or Tube Zipper only it was in an actual XO box! (i think its XO, anyway its the ones the Pog2, SMMWH, ect come in) no lie! they bought it from New Sensor! i was realy interested in them, and if they were built by EHX, i would jump on a dime for that!!! i just wish i could find them now to show everyone the link (im going searching now dammit!)

Mr.Grim

heres a couple examples i could find, not the right one but close.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/4/2006/11/nano_amp.jpg

http://www.rocknrollvintage.com/prodimages/thumbs/Zvex-nano-head-tube-amplifier-s.JPG

http://www.aloaudio.com/store/images/mwsf-4.jpg

http://resources.vr-zone.com/image_deposit/up2/1253864736c3fdac389a.jpg

http://www.panopticist.com/graphics/impamp.jpg

http://hi-end.on9mart.com/products/amplifiers/integ_amp/AI-QP-A1/photo_01.jpg

ok….so make on now EHX!! WE WILL BUY ! ! !

the bottom ones are a little to futuristic for me, but i love the top one, i dont care if the transformers ect are jotting out of the top of it, it has character, i want it with an EHX logo on it!

Fender&EHX4ever
    Quote:
    I’ve played those little Zvex amps before. They are really cool. Good lord do they have crunch!

Only problem is they are $500. And for that you could get a tiny terror or vox night train or ac15 and have a lot more versatility. The thing that makes there 22cal amazing is that its $100 and is the size of a bar of soap. Really if you made the 22cal any more than it is it would be less novel because it would be getting up into the price range of actual heads and combos. I love that its just a simple power amp. I think for tube sound you could run a english muffn into a 22cal and then into a marshall cab and there you go. Ready to rock.

:thumb: Great post!

Those mini tube amps are really cool looking, I admit.
    What if EHX made an affordable integrated stereo tube amplifier to use with turntables? Now that would be something I would pre-order.

John J

when i was working at a&b sound we had a small tube hifi amplifier come in. i killed many an hour testing it against every other digital or analog hifi in the store, even the huge surround sound amps meant for powering crazy high definition home theatres and you know what? i could not hear a difference drastic enough to justify the price tag, although it sure did look cool.

those zvex amps are wonderful but overpriced; aside from the cool factor and the fact that they are the perfect volume for recording (tiny terror and blues jr are even a bit loud for home recording IMO), there is not much you can do with a $500+whateverthecabinetcosts amp that won’t even project you over an average-volumed drummer.

those are basically designed for someone who has a gigging/bandpractice amp and money to burn – the second being a major factor in almost all of zack’s wonderful designs. on the plusside, the zvex pricetag helps keep woolly mammoths rare-ish and ‘cool’ (bad iceage pun half intended).

Jblaze
    Quote:

Holy crap. That never crossed my mind. Sweet.

dreamyguy
    Quote:
    Quote:

Holy crap. That never crossed my mind. Sweet.

That would make most sense to me. I’m still thinking if I should have a caliber on one channel just to have true stereo….

…AND, if we’re going to follow the caliber thing, the next thing would be 32 or 44…

Jblaze

I was just thinking of this idea. Have one thats 50 watts, with an on/off switch, and a volume and Master. Turn up the master for lots of clean headroom, and turn up the volume for a crunchy sound.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.