Home Forums Help/Technical Questions 22 Caliber cutting out when playing over half on the dial

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    WaltC

I’ve been playing with my new 22 cal for a couple of weeks now but today, when I was showing it off and playing loud (about 60% on the dial) it started cutting off. It would drop to silent and then come back on, drop and come back on until the volume dropped to a certain level and then it’d come back on full time. Drive it hard again and it’d do the same thing.

I plugged it into a variac w/ an ammeter on it just to see what was what and noticed that anytime the power draw got much above .6A (six tenths of an amp) the sound would cut out.

Other than that I love the pedal and would sure like to continue using it. Is mine defective? What will it take to get it fixed?

Help??

Quote:
    I’ve been playing with my new 22 cal for a couple of weeks now but today, when I was showing it off and playing loud (about 60% on the dial) it started cutting off. It would drop to silent and then come back on, drop and come back on until the volume dropped to a certain level and then it’d come back on full time. Drive it hard again and it’d do the same thing.

I plugged it into a variac w/ an ammeter on it just to see what was what and noticed that anytime the power draw got much above .6A (six tenths of an amp) the sound would cut out.

Other than that I love the pedal and would sure like to continue using it. Is mine defective? What will it take to get it fixed?

Help??

From what you are describing it sounds like the cabinet you are using is a 4 ohm cabinet.

When we first sold the 22 Caliber we said it could work down to 4 ohms but we were wrong. When plugged into a 4 ohm cabinet, as soon as the 22 Caliber starts to distort, it overheats and shuts itself off. This usually occurs at around 11 o’clock on the dial.

The minimum cabinet impedance should be 8 ohms. If you are using an 8 or 16 ohm cabinet then something may be wrong with your 22 Caliber.

WaltC

Yup, it’s a 4 ohm cab. I’ll push it w/ an 8 ohm cabinet and let you know how it comes out. Thanks!

Walt Campbell
    Campbell Sound
    http://www.campbellsound.com/

Quote:
    Yup, it’s a 4 ohm cab. I’ll push it w/ an 8 ohm cabinet and let you know how it comes out. Thanks!

Walt Campbell
    Campbell Sound
    http://www.campbellsound.com/

Definitely interested to hear your results with the 8 ohm cabinet. It should be fine.

WaltC

I played the “pedal” amp last night and this morning into an 8 ohm cab and, even dimed, the amperage draw of the amp never exceeded even .3 amps, even driving it with a reverb pedal, flanger and both sides of a Zvex Box of Rock.

It’s doing well. As soon as I plugged it back into the 2×12 4ohm cab the amperage went up, so I stopped and concluded the “test” <G data-src=

Thanks for the results!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.