Home Forums Help/Technical Questions 2 different Microsynths?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Loraine

Hi there,

I’m really new to electro harmonix gear but I am loving what I am hearing! I just have a question, I have looked all over the internet and the website and cannot figure out that there seems to be 2 different looking micro synths.

I tried one out in the store- the more purple one, and found that I couldn’t get any sustain, it just cut out after about 6 seconds – no matter what setting I had it on. I’m not totally new to synths either…

The demo videos all seem to feature this more black coloured micro synth with the lettering at the bottom etc.

It sounds great, would like one, just want to clear this up. And I apologize if the answer is painfully obvious somewhere, I’m very tired. :)

Thanks very much!

The EH Man

The black one is likely the old style version with the sheet metal box, the “Classic” Micro-Synthesizer. It’s no longer in production so your best bet is ebay or some other forum.

Loraine

Thank you! So they both do the same thing and sound the same?
    I wonder why the sound kept cutting out short…

Fender&EHX4ever

There are actually several versions of the Micro Synthesizer since about 1978, even without including the Bass Micro Synthesizer.

But all that aside, it is true that there isn’t much sustain in them. It’s inherent in the design – the trigger sets the threshold for the signal. You might be able to maximize the sustain a bit more if you use the trimpot to tweak the input gain, but it’s a tricky balance because you also don’t want to set off false triggers.

The Micro Synthesizer is really amazing effect pedal – one of a kind – but it’s one that forces you to work with it on its own terms.

Loraine

Oh wow, yeah that was the obvious answer I was dreading, it’s an old model cause EHX has been around forever!!!

Sorry, tired. That said I really want a serious sustain in this new pedal I am looking for…

Will keep looking around here thank you!

Loraine

bill ruppert
    Participant

To add sustain to the MicroSynth add a compressor pedal like the Soul Preacher.
    It adds tons of sustain and evens out your picking to give it a more even keyboard attack.
    Almost all the Effectology videos featuring a MicroSynth use a compressor in front of it.

Loraine

That’s a neat idea. Will try it out in store.

Folkstone57
    Quote:
    It adds tons of sustain and evens out your picking to give it a more even keyboard attack.
    Almost all the Effectology videos featuring a MicroSynth use a compressor in front of it.

I just want to add that it is almost an given that you have to use a COMP before the MicroSynth. This gadget is very dependednt on what it gets, very much like the HOG. The COMP gives both these pedals much more to work with. Also, since both have envelope & attack adjustments, it’s a requirement that you have a signal that can be modified, i.e. you can’t get a shorter/longer attack or decay than the source signal itself.

Fender&EHX4ever
    Quote:

Absolutely. Come to think of it, it would be interesting to see how well the Micro Synth would respond to a signal fed by The Freeze.

SanquiFlerb
    Quote:
    Quote:

Absolutely. Come to think of it, it would be interesting to see how well the Micro Synth would respond to a signal fed by The Freeze.

That’s a new job for Bill right there :thumb:

AshjaahsMuff
    Participant

hey there !!

i have the big box microsynth and recently broke the trimpot, but i got it fixed, and since ive had it fixed it sounds even better than before, truely amazing pedal !!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.