Home Forums Help/Technical Questions 16 Second Digital Delay RI

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    John J

There’s one of these at Long & Mcquade new (well, unused) in wooden box, but it’s not selling for much less than a 2880 would go for. It’s been in the store for a while now, but I’m just starting to have some extra money again after tuition and textbooks, plus I didn’t work much while I was settling back into university. I’ve heard the praises of these things sung to no end, and I’m looking for something a LITTLE more powerful than the Hazarai (mostly something with MIDI sync to a drum machine, the ability to store at least one loop, modulation, and foot control of more parameters than just overdubbing) which the 16sDD has, but in your expert opinions, is it worth skipping the ‘cool’ factor of the 16sDD for the added features of the 2880? Based off the facts that the 2880 is more expensive and I’m a sucker for anything discontinued, would you pull the trigger on the 16sDD or is the added power of the 2880 worthwhile? As of now, I can see the faders on the 2880 being too complicated to use properly on the fly but I’ve heard these things are way easier to use than they seem.

Fender&EHX4ever

Good question. I’ve wondered the same. I decided to go ahead and buy a 16sDD for the reason you mentioned – because I’m a sucker for discontinued EHX stuff.

I have some complaints with the 16sDD, but it might just be that I haven’t figured out how to do it yet.
    I haven’t found a way to…

1. record loops in 3/4 , 6/8, or any peculiar time signature
    2. listen to the click without engaging the record. I’d like to just hear the click in play mode so I can establish a tempo before I start recording. The 4 beat count in is not enough to figure out the right tempo before I start to play. This must be possible, and I’m just too dense to figure it out.
    3. undo a layer without erasing the previous loop

Does the 2880 address these issues?

electro-melx
    Quote:
    Good question. I’ve wondered the same. I decided to go ahead and buy a 16sDD for the reason you mentioned – because I’m a sucker for discontinued EHX stuff.

I have some complaints with the 16sDD, but it might just be that I haven’t figured out how to do it yet.
    I haven’t found a way to…

1. record loops in 3/4 , 6/8, or any peculiar time signature
    2. listen to the click without engaging the record. I’d like to just hear the click in play mode so I can establish a tempo before I start recording. The 4 beat count in is not enough to figure out the right tempo before I start to play. This must be possible, and I’m just too dense to figure it out.
    3. undo a layer without erasing the previous loop

Does the 2880 address these issues?

in the demo it sounds like you can play the click? maybe? I’m not sure how it works…

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SQUISA9UcMg

in this one he uses an external drum machine, that might be a way of getting different time sigs?

Fender&EHX4ever
    Quote:
    in the demo it sounds like you can play the click? maybe? I’m not sure how it works…

in this one he uses an external drum machine, that might be a way of getting different time sigs?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jTdf_t0yc-8

In the demo, Stroud has it set to “continuous loop mode”. I’ve been using the “single loop mode” more often, but maybe that’s the problem.

Scott mentioned that using a midi drum machine might be the answer to recording in different time signatures. Unfortunately, I don’t have a midi drum machine to test it out with. I think EHX should reissue their DRM series with midi compatibility and sampling features :chinscratch:

electro-melx
    Quote:
    Quote:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jTdf_t0yc-8

In the demo, Stroud has it set to “continuous loop mode”. I’ve been using the “single loop mode” more often, but maybe that’s the problem.

Scott mentioned that using a midi drum machine might be the answer to recording in different time signatures. Unfortunately, I don’t have a midi drum machine to test it out with. I think EHX should reissue their DRM series with midi compatibility and sampling features :chinscratch:

an updated drm pedal in a Haz sized case would be awesome! they could call it the ‘stereo drm with midimojo’ or something. :)

Fender&EHX4ever
    Quote:
    an updated drm pedal in a Haz sized case would be awesome! they could call it the ‘stereo drm with midimojo’ or something. :)

This needs its own thread 💡

tubezipper

EH need to make a drum machine like in the past.

I hope its already on the drawing board :)

John J

Well I pulled the trigger on this badboy and I’m super happy I did. There’s so much going on, I’m not used to having a looper with more than thirty seconds available! Functionally, this is actually surprisingly similar to the Hazarai, although much more powerful and precise and MUCH easier to use on the fly. The click track helps out a ton when recording longer loops, although the only two ways I can see to record loops in a different time signature are either a) set it to >32 bars, use a drum machine set to the time signature you want and be precise when ending the loop or b) learn to count polyrhythmically against the click and figure out how many bars your imagined loop will work out to be.

I decided the extra looping power of the 2880, for MY purposes, wasn’t worth the loss of the sweep (ultra cool) or the delay mode (ultra cool). Adding to this, I only play in mono, so I figured there wasn’t much sense in dropping extra coin for something less useful for my particular applications. All in all, a huge success for EHX! Now, does anyone know where I can get a foot controller?

tubezipper

Nice one! :)

Fender&EHX4ever
    Quote:
    Well I pulled the trigger on this badboy and I’m super happy I did. There’s so much going on, I’m not used to having a looper with more than thirty seconds available! Functionally, this is actually surprisingly similar to the Hazarai, although much more powerful and precise and MUCH easier to use on the fly. The click track helps out a ton when recording longer loops, although the only two ways I can see to record loops in a different time signature are either a) set it to >32 bars, use a drum machine set to the time signature you want and be precise when ending the loop or b) learn to count polyrhythmically against the click and figure out how many bars your imagined loop will work out to be.

I decided the extra looping power of the 2880, for MY purposes, wasn’t worth the loss of the sweep (ultra cool) or the delay mode (ultra cool). Adding to this, I only play in mono, so I figured there wasn’t much sense in dropping extra coin for something less useful for my particular applications. All in all, a huge success for EHX! Now, does anyone know where I can get a foot controller?

Congrats on your decision!!! :thumb:

The sweep and the short delay are great features indeed.

Have you thought about getting the mod? EHX will still do it, and I think it’s about $30 or so. When you set the the Coarse slider 100%, it allows you to loop without the 4 beat count-in.

I ordered a foot controller a week ago from this seller: http://www.beyondeleven.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Electro-Harmonix-16-sec-foot

Supposedly , it has been shipped already, but it hasn’t arrived yet. If and when it does, I’ll let you know that it’s a legitimate sale.

John J

Thanks for the link! I’ll have to ponder the foot controller, though. I’ve been finding it extremely easy to just use the sliders! As for the mod, I was incorrect when I described the pedal as ‘unused.’ It’s had one previous owner, who apparently had the pedal modified already. The mod is an invaluable addition, might I add!

I’ve finally found an easy excuse / plausible way to integrate a drum machine into my pedalboard; I always found my loops were far too imperfect with any other looper and usually lost time after just a few measures. If I was looping, I would have to do the guitar tracks first and overdub live drums using the loop to keep time. Now, I can just give’r and, theoretically, record an entire song straight to cassette, in one take. More on this tomorrow, when I get my amp, Graphic Fuzz and HOG back from Alex…

The 16 second delay is a character pedal. It was re released because soooo many people wanted it.

You indeed made the right choice. The Midi alone fit your needs. The fact that you can always mix-down complex 4 channel tracks in a stereo mix and free up the original four track for rerecording is what I like. The resolution loses nothing in the mix as all of you know from workstations. However, the 2880 is just an efficient and powerful box.

The 2880 is a creative and powerful instrument.

I just have to tell you that if you buy the remote controller pedal, you will never be sorry. For performance an absolute must. To sketch out ideas, it makes work so much more fluid.

julian

Cool man. You definitely made a good choice.

Get the foot control.
    I really wish my SMMH had a foot control for loops like the 2880 or 16SD. It’s limiting having to tweak while playing.

Fender&EHX4ever
    Quote:
    I ordered a foot controller a week ago from this seller: http://www.beyondeleven.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Electro-Harmonix-16-sec-foot

Supposedly , it has been shipped already, but it hasn’t arrived yet. If and when it does, I’ll let you know that it’s a legitimate sale.

Apparently the foot controller was on backorder, so I haven’t received mine yet from beyondeleven. Is this because they are out of production? Should I cancel my order from them and just scour eBay for a used one?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.