Home Forums Ideas / Suggestions / Feedback 1440 killer feature suggestions that are probably easy to implement

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Halfnote

Yeah the title sounds overly confident and I am no engineer, but hear me out :D

All the following suggestions are meant to be selectable options, not to change the default functionality.

[strong]Loop progress indicator[/strong].

The 720 already has this. The left half of 1440’s big display is unused during normal operation, so the leftmost digit can easily be used without compromising readability. You could even use the outer parts of the two leftmost digits to visually show loop progress, like this:

Code:
    .- –
    | |
    – –

Not only this is helpful for longer and ambient loops (which I understand are a strong point of EHX loopers, especially with a decay funcotion), but it is also extremely useful in MIDI sync mode, at least in its current state of only being able to start/stop on measures, not beats.

[strong]Serial mode[/strong]

If the user switches loops while playing, simply start playing the next loop. I don’t think I need to go into how amazingly useful and powerful this is. I don’t know if there are any technical limitations, but I tried doing it manually and it is definitely possible to play two loops one after the other seamlessly as far as I could tell. So the pedal is capable of that. Even if there is an extremely small gap that I didn’t notice, or if there is a gap when switching between very long loops, this (optional) feature would still be perfectly useful for many users and kinds of music.

I am very tempted to try and hack together a custom footswitch and see if I can make this work mechanically (stick a track switching footswitch next to play and press them together). I hope this isn’t a market segment issue, overlapping with the 22500; I personally think dual track loopers are a thing of their own. That said, the 1440’s most direct competition is the Ditto X4 which is the only other looper at this price range with MIDI sync and loop decay as far as I know, so why not have a go at that!

[strong]Lock loops[/strong]

The option to write protect a stored loop. Seeing as one of the advertised intended uses of the 1440 is to loop over stored rhythm tracks, this is a no brainer – especially with the decay function (overdub level). I am not sure if this is technically possible, but even if it could be done using the undo layer (this losing undo/redo functionality) it would still be useful to have the option. The display dots would give a clear visual indication for locked loops.

[strong]Quantize to tempo without external clock
    [/strong]

Since the functionality is already there when syncing to MIDI, why not let us use it without MIDI. Great for players just using a metronome or for helping nail those overdubs. I think quite a few users would like it.

[strong]
    Overdub on footswitch press (not on release)[/strong]

I don’t really mind this, it is easy getting used to. But while researching the pedal I read many comments from users thinking that the 1440 is defective or just unusable and that EHX pedals are just bad at this. People are actually returning pedals because of this, so it would sure be a nice option to have and keep more buyers happy. I read that this is just EHX’s way of doing it, I don’t know if this exists as an option on any other loopers (EHX or not) but why not.

[strong]Press Stop/FX to cancel recording
    [/strong]

Sometimes, especially when improvising or trying something tricky, it takes a few tries to nail down a loop. Right now you have to hold down the Stop/FX footswitch for several seconds in order to stop, then erase a recording. Being able to set it to abort recording without saving a loop would make for effortless repeated takes without getting in the way of creativity. It is also completely intuitive, that is the way I expected it to work. I am sure this is a much more popular use case than the current functionality of stopping a loop and saving it without playing it back, but why not have both options.

[strong]Other minor suggestions[/strong]

While I am here, just some ideas that came to mind:

– Mono mixdown mode: being able to connect two different mono instruments and have them both on the mono output. I think many bedroom players or anyone with more limited equipment would find it useful. I don’t know if it can be done with firmware though.

– Overdub level default to max: The 1440 makes it so easy to just go to a nice loop you have previously saved and start improvising over it. Sometimes I did that without noticing that I had lowered the overdub level, so I accidentally affected the original loop. It would be convenient to have the option to set the overdub dial to jump mode (like on synthesizers) so it defaults to max level unless you change it.

Halfnote

Added the Press Stop/FX to cancel recording suggestion. I can’t believe I forgot that, it really was the first thing that came to mind when first using the pedal!

kraberus

I just got a 1440 myself! Totally agree with the “lock loop” idea – that would be a huge improvement. It would allow me to lay down an initial percussive loop for timing and rhythm and not worry about losing it with fading overdubs. The Ditto X4 can do this – seems like it should be doable from a technical standpoint.

Love the pedal otherwise though!

Jazzphoton

My 2 cents: I would like the function state (Reverse, Octave, 1 shot, External clock) to be memorized for each of the 20 slots, even if nothing is recorded yet. For instance, I need prior to recording a 1-shot reverse function in slot 1, then just the external clock function for slot 2…

mostavern
    Participant

Ext. Footswitch Configure
    I would buy the external footswitch immediately, if I could configure what it would actually do.

That would allow me to use the 1440 in ‘desktop mode’ where the pedal controls are on the desk in front of me, but the footswitches used to start/stop/overdub the loop (for example), are at my feet.

The Trio+ and the Beatbuddy both allow this, and it’s really a nice way to work with these types of pedals I think. Would be good to have that option on the 1440.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.