Home Forums Review Your EHX Gear #1 Echo review

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    DJo_666

I’m a new EHX user and I’ve started with 3 (all X0): #1 echo, holy grail plus, and stereo electric mistress. I’m fairly impressed with them after a few weeks.

I bought the #1 echo after finding that my DD-3 was giving distorted repeats (I like a very crisp digital delay so it was a big deal to me). I traced the problem to the signal level of my JSX head’s effects loop: the -10dBu minimum was too hot for the instrument level loving DD-3. I went to the ‘net to find out what else was out there and settled on a few options, then went to the local shop to test drive them with the same amp.

It turns out that it is seriously difficult to find delay stomp boxes that will handle the signal level in an effects loop! The #1 echo was the only one I tried that didn’t play back farting noises when playing loudly on the clean channel. This baffles me because I would never use a delay pedal in front of an amp, and I know many people feel the same.

The pedal is terrific: pristine digital delay in a simple 3-knob setup. The only complaint was that the delay time control is way too sensitive in the region I use, but I’m not too picky about delay time so it’s not a big deal.

Anyway the #1 echo was just what I wanted: digital, simple, and capable of living happily at line level. I though my delay needs were met forever…

Then I started to notice a volume change when I switched the pedal on and off. This is a big deal for me since I want all my pedals to be unity gain unless there is a good reason not to be, especially in the effects loop. The cause of this is the “blend” control; it’s aptly named since it does not just affect the volume of the delays but also drops the direct level as the blend is turned up. This means that, unless the blend is all the way off in which case there is no echo, the direct signal is attenuated. At high blend settings this gets extreme, to the point that at 100% all you hear is the delays – the direct signal is completely cut off. This could be a great thing for some people but it is exactly not what I want, so I’ll be back on the trail looking for another delay pedal.

BTW: does anyone else find their delays clipping in an amp’s effect loop? My amp causes this only when the clean channel gain is dimed and the (passive) EQ is all the way up. I could lower the levels to avoid overdriving pedals in the loop, but that would affect the clean tone and would certainly mess up the way gain pedals react with the amp. This seems unavoidable, but then I see everyone in the world with a DD-3 in the loop so I think I must be an idiot.

I Just got this pedal. I’ve had it for couple days now. I totally agree with your review i love simplicity of it. In fact i was in music store and I a/b against a DD3 and echo park. We found that #1 echo was a lot cleaner more crisp sounding. Personally i love this pedal. Its simplicity is where it counts. I cant stand most of delays out there now. Way to much useless crap on them! At first i noticed no volume drop but like you said start messing with blend knob and you notice it right off bat. I really noticed it when i was using a bit of gain in front of my amp.

AshjaahsMuff
    Participant

ive got this pedal too
    again it took some time to find the perfect settings and ive wrote a lot of what i did like down to help and stuff

with the volume drop
    it doesnt drop when im using the ehx english muff or the mxr dis +
    it only drops when i use my boss od3

what are you current settings ?

my blend is about 9-11 o’clock depending on what song
    delay time 11-3
    feedback 11-2

thanks !

DJo_666

I’m surprised you write that you don’t always perceive the volume drop. The blend control on the #1 echo reduces the dry volume as it is turned up, while increasing the volume of the repeats. Which pedals you use with it will be irrelevant, that is unless you put your delay before some kind of distortion or compression (which would be a very bad idea).

This pedal will be sold in short order so I can get the new TCelectronics Nova Repeater. That pedal solves every problem with this (and other) delay pedals.

AshjaahsMuff
    Participant

tbh so i was, i read a lot of reviews before and after i got the pedal that said a slight volume drop will occur
    with my boss od3 it defo drops just dramatically
    but with the englisg muff it definatly doesnt

whats that tc nova one like ?
    is it a multi delay pedal ?

i might have to check it out !!
    thanks

AshjaahsMuff
    Participant

that tc one looks awesome
    i think i mighthave to go check it out
    but i still fancy going for the dmm xo

DJo_666

tc nova is like a non-programmable version of their top delay pedal. It’s pretty cheap and it has a lot of great features. I like a simple clean delay so most of the features are worthless to me, but here are the best ones that are a major improvement over any other pedal:

– Two inputs; one for instument level for those running it in front of an amp, and one for line level for those running it in the effect loop. Personally I can’t understand why anyone would run a delay in front of an amp since the delay will sound totally different depending on the amp channel, which leaves me wonedering why nearly every delay box cannot handle the signal level in the loop. This is the feature that sells the pedal, IMHO.

– Adjusting the delay level does not affect the dry level (see my issue with the #1 echo). The exception is if the delay level is at 100% – then the dry signal is killed and only the repeats are heard (good for reverse and other effects).

– Tempo is switchable between 1/4 notes and other tempos, including some double delays with interesting timing. This is pretty neat but I likely won’t use it much.

Anyway, for people who like the #1 echo, more power to you. I’m moving on though.

m0jo
    Quote:

BTW: does anyone else find their delays clipping in an amp’s effect loop? My amp causes this only when the clean channel gain is dimed and the (passive) EQ is all the way up. I could lower the levels to avoid overdriving pedals in the loop, but that would affect the clean tone and would certainly mess up the way gain pedals react with the amp. This seems unavoidable, but then I see everyone in the world with a DD-3 in the loop so I think I must be an idiot.

Crap.. you’ve just helped me realise what happens when I turn up my Laney VC100’s volume with my DD-20 in the loop! :(

This seriously sucks, because I like to turn the pre-amp up and than the master down a bit (it opens up the sound because the last of 3 tubes in the gain channel is not strangled ..). Then I heard the sound started farting around, even on the clean channel!

I do need the versatility of the DD-20 and have a deep hatred for the preset-switching of TC-Electronics .. So I’m basically screwed. :(
    Can anyone tell me how the SMMH handles high levels?

BTW. having only effected signal is usefull if you use a parallel loop like me. The blending is done on the amp, so you don’t waste the unaffected tone on the cables. :)

DJo_666

I don’t know why this problem with delays isn’t more widely acknowledged. I suppose it’s expensive to make a pedal run at both line and instrument level (although TC put this feature into a pedal with a pile of other great features for around $180). The Hardwire delay runs both line and instrument with a single input, but I question the effectiveness of an input that accepts such a wide range of signals. I think the dual inputs on the Nova Repeater are the best way to go!

m0jo
    Quote:
    I don’t know why this problem with delays isn’t more widely acknowledged. I suppose it’s expensive to make a pedal run at both line and instrument level (although TC put this feature into a pedal with a pile of other great features for around $180). The Hardwire delay runs both line and instrument with a single input, but I question the effectiveness of an input that accepts such a wide range of signals. I think the dual inputs on the Nova Repeater are the best way to go!

Well it gets even stranger: the DD-20 is switchable from -20db to +4db .. but that only makes the problem greater :( It sounds better on the lower volumes, but around half volume it starts farting even harder than before! :(

I’m really hoping for positive news on the SMMH .. I’ve been wanting it but needing justification haha

electro-melx

Why do you feel the need to run stompboxes in your effects loop? get a rack unit if you want to go down that route…. personally, I don’t think (most) pedals are really designed for it, all my stomps sound better in front of my amp to me.

DJo_666

I’ve had nearly every piece of gear under the sun; racks and pedals. Some effects seem to work better (my opinion) in the loop, namely anything that would react differently if the preamp channel were changed. Delay is a clasic example – set it up to sound good clean and it sounds completely different on the lead channel. Rack/pedal is irrelevant; some effects need to be after the preamp and some before (my opinion).

One great solution was the GT-8 and GT-10 from BOSS. They have an insertable loop for an external preamp and all effects can be routed in any order. That way I could put delay (etc.) after the preamp and stick with a single programmable box. Other rack gear lacks the insert and/or effect routing flexibility (G_Major, G_System, etc.). The quality of the effects and other issues (signal levels, among others) pushed me back to pedals, so I need some pedals to work in the loop.

Not a big deal, and something that manufacturers need to consider.

BTW, this becomes a much bigger deal on multi-channel amps. If I used (e.g.) a Marshall Vintage Modern with a single channel, and used only pedals for gain, then this wouldn’t be such an issue because I could run the delay between the gain pedals and the amp. I use a Peavey JSX with 3 channels with totally differnt gain structures, and some effects MUST (my opinion) be after the preamp so that I can switch channels without having to adjust a bunch of effect parameters.

m0jo
    Quote:
    Why do you feel the need to run stompboxes in your effects loop? get a rack unit if you want to go down that route…. personally, I don’t think (most) pedals are really designed for it, all my stomps sound better in front of my amp to me.

No offence, but that’s a bit short sighted now isn’t it?

1. I don’t want a rack with one piece of gear in it
    2. I don’t want 500fx .. all sub par
    3. I don’t want 20fx, all excellent digital .. for a thousand euro’s/dollars
    4. I want to solder around in my pedals!!!
    5. … Pedals (should) work fine in fx loops, and I want to be able to footswitch my pedals :)

By the way, I’ve just re-tested my rig at considerable volume .. and the farting is completely gone :S I can’t replicate it either.. I wonder if something else was farting last time 😆

m0jo
    Quote:
    BTW, this becomes a much bigger deal on multi-channel amps. If I used (e.g.) a Marshall Vintage Modern with a single channel, and used only pedals for gain, then this wouldn’t be such an issue because I could run the delay between the gain pedals and the amp. I use a Peavey JSX with 3 channels with totally differnt gain structures, and some effects MUST (my opinion) be after the preamp so that I can switch channels without having to adjust a bunch of effect parameters.

Yes!!! This also, my amp has several loops:
    – Individual parallel loops for clean and gain channels, individually mixable.
    – Overal parallel/series loop with mix/return level
    – Pre-amp out/poweramp in

I use the first two with the combined return jack, so I have one loop, with a mix knob per channel. :)
    It gives me the possibility to tone down the effects on the gain channel a bit, something I couldn’t possibly do otherwise.

BTW. I know what you’re thinking: Laney VC100 (100 watts fulltube roar!!)
    And a DD-20, CEB-3 and coming up in the long distance an Eventide ModFactor in the loop. :)

electro-melx
    Quote:
    Quote:

No offence, but that’s a bit short sighted now isn’t it?

1. I don’t want a rack with one piece of gear in it
    2. I don’t want 500fx .. all sub par
    3. I don’t want 20fx, all excellent digital .. for a thousand euro’s/dollars
    4. I want to solder around in my pedals!!!
    5. … Pedals (should) work fine in fx loops, and I want to be able to footswitch my pedals :)

It might well be short sighted on the part of pedal makers but i’m just telling it how it is. Stompboxes on the whole are designed to accept instument level signals…. look in almost any manual for a pedal and it will tell you to connect it between guitar and amp. You might think that pedals should work in a line level loop but the fact of the matter is most of them don’t. (very well anyway imo) That’s just the facts as I see them.

….I have modulation pedals that clip with hot pickups. :D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.