Home Forums Help/Technical Questions 22 Caliber noise issue? Pffffffffffff…..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    brakix
    Participant

I just bought a 22 Caliber Power Amp yesterday and was very impressed by its performance at the music store where I purchased it. I bring the thing home, plug it in, and as soon as I turn the dial to an actual audible level (maybe around 9 o’clock), I head a very distinct PFFFFFFFFFF noise. It’s not a hum per se, more like the sound of the ocean when you hold a sea shell up to your ear. The sound is steady and is not oscillating in any manner. This is with the Caliber 22 plugged in to an 8 ohm Celestian Vintage 30 speaker that’s mounted in an Avatar cab. I thought it may be a power issue, so I tried plugging the unit in to a Furman M-8 Power conditioner, as well as the surge protector on my pedal board and straight in to the wall with nothing else plugged in to the same socket. None of these things helped. It’s worth noting that I Was getting this noise WITHOUT ANYTHING PLUGGED IN TO THE 22 CALIBER. No pedals, preamps, or anything of that nature running in to it to actually be amplified. Sounds the same with pedals running in to it, only with a little more noise added from those pedals themselves. This is driving me nuts! Did i blow out something? Is this the same as when my 15 watt Crate practice amp picks up bad hip hop stations when I have it turned on in my bedroom? Help!

Does the volume of the noise change with the Volume knob setting? Meaning does it increase as you turn up the volume?

brakix
    Participant
    Quote:
    Does the volume of the noise change with the Volume knob setting? Meaning does it increase as you turn up the volume?

Yes, it gets incrementally louder.

B.Daws
    Participant

Maybe it’s a bad one? Have you messed with the bright switch? You are using a speaker cable and not an instrument cable right? Also you are running the pedal straight to the cabinet I assume and you are sure of the ohmage right?

If you turned it on without any cab hooked up to it you can mess it up I’m pretty sure.

brakix
    Participant

Read the instructions about ten times and did the following:

-Plugged the output into an 8 ohm Celestion Vintage 30 speaker, via my avatar 2×12 cab with a 3 foot speaker cable. Made sure to buy a speaker cable at the music store where I got it. It’s a stereo cab with two inputs, one for each speaker (the other being a Fender Eminence), so they’re run independently from each other at 8 ohms a piece.
    -Plugged the power adapter in to one of the back inputs on a Furman M-8 power conditioner.
    -Made sure the volume of the 22 Caliber was at 0 and the bright switch was set to “norm.”
    -Flipped on the Furman M-8.
    -Turned the volume dial up and started hearing noise when it got to around 9 o clock.
    -Kept turning the volume up- noise got louder.
    -Stopped around 2 o clock.
    -Went back to 10 o clock and flipped on the bright switch. The noise got “brighter”. Which I guess is ok?

I spoke with John (maybe that wasn’t his name?) at EHX earlier today and he plugged in a few of these, tested them, and got similar results. For whatever reason, I do not remember hearing this when I was at the music store. The power in my house is probably terrible, and from what the EHX tech said, the power in his department was by no means professionally conditioned either. I’m taking this back to the guitar shop (a Music Go Round location here in columbus, oh) and seeing what kind of difference that makes. If it’s a power issue, then what can I do? The EHX tech said that this issue seemed to be a defect that was not addressed when the 22 Caliber was produced, and seeing it’s a fairly new pedal, it has not bought brought to their attention until recently.

I’d like to figure out what the problem is here, mainly because this thing is a great idea and saves me a lot of time, space, and money in regards to my current 1 amp/2 speaker setup. I’d rather have this than lug around a real power amp. But if this persists, I’d deem the 22 Caliber un-usable in a live situation.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.