Home Forums Review Your EHX Gear 1440 Looper

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    julian

I got mine about a week and a half ago. I’ve mostly been fiddling with it and getting to know the features.

Performing a basic loop is really nice and easy. I’ve played with other loopers (including the one on the EHX Stereo Memory Man) where getting the timing by ear was a little tricky, but on this it’s a breeze. Overdubbing and undo/redo are nice, although I’d like there to be a way to go all the way back to the original loop if I want rather than just being able to undo the very last overdub. The reverse & pitch effects work how you’d expect and I’m happy they’re there. 1 shot, fadeout, and trigger are both pretty cool but I wish fadeout would work with 1 shot.

The big thing that drew me to this pedal is that I don’t think there’s anything smaller that syncs to external MIDI, which means jamming with my synth or VST I can get perfect loops. Looping to the external clock can be a little finicky and the loops quantize to the bar meaning if you loop for 5 beats you’ll get an 8 beat loop (It will also do 3/4.) Punching in the first loop is also a little difficult because it has you punch in on the 1, so you’ve got to really watch the timing. In the end, this stuff will probably make me a better player, but it would be nice just to have a mode that’s a little freer but still syncs. Hopefully future firmware updates will make the midi stuff a bit easier. In emails they told me that a future firmware update will likely add more MIDI functionality, which I’ll be excited to try.

The windows software hasn’t been released yet, so I haven’t been able to test that out.

Overall: it’s a great little looper that’s loaded with features and I’m happy to have it.

I have my device for two days and like to report: the looper is a lot of fun, the basic functions work without any problems. As mentioned in the last post, it would be great if the MIDI functionality could be more customizable:

– when recording in one of the external clock modes, the LOOP footswitch does not start recording immediately. The start of recording is always based on the “one” of the midi master (also in CX mode, which is described as “does not respond to MIDI start”).
    It would be great to have some kind of mode, where the looper gets the bpm from the midi clock but isn’t tied to beat sync. It would be much more intuitive, especially in setups with devices that are clock synced but need to be played or started “free running”..

– the retrigger mode of the STOP [FX] footswitch does not seem to work in external clock mode. I couldn’t find anything about it in the manual.

Since I’m new to the looper, it could very well be that I missed something. Suggestions for solving the issues are welcome, thank you in advance! :)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.