Noisy Hog
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-06-27
Posted: 27 June 2010 12:56 PM

Morning, all,

I’m encountering noise problems with my Hog that are becoming pesky. It seems very sensitive. In my house, if there’s something else running that seems to draw a lot of power, the Hog starts buzzing pretty badly…it’s like you can hear the octaves or semi-tones that are boosted even when you’re not playing anything. Air conditioner, washing machine, toaster…all these will boost the volume of the noise.

Last night I had a performance and the problem was the same. I’m worried that I can’t really use this pedal live because of this unpredictability.

I should note that I normally use the Hog with the input gain all the way down, and this seems connected somehow. Increasing the input gain lowers the noise—but it doesn’t make it vanish, and the more I turn it up the more I increase the possibility of clipping. I’ve always preferred to use it with the input slider all the way down and the output all the way up.

Do I have a faulty unit, need a different power supply? Is this a known issue? I’ve always used the EHX power supply that came with it—at least as far as I can remember.

Thanks for any input.

RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  344
Joined  2009-03-22
Posted: 27 June 2010 01:08 PM | Link to this reply (#1)

Check and see if the noise vanishes when you turn down your guitars volume control.
If the noise vanishes it means the noise is coming in from the guitar and not the HOG.
Any noise in and the HOG will add octaves to the input noise and make it bigger just as it does to your guitar signal.
If the noise is there with your guitar turned down, its time to have the HOG checked or the way your power supplies are connected.
make sure your guitar cables are good as well!

HughBonar - 27 June 2010 05:56 PM

Morning, all,

I’m encountering noise problems with my Hog that are becoming pesky. It seems very sensitive. In my house, if there’s something else running that seems to draw a lot of power, the Hog starts buzzing pretty badly…it’s like you can hear the octaves or semi-tones that are boosted even when you’re not playing anything. Air conditioner, washing machine, toaster…all these will boost the volume of the noise.

Last night I had a performance and the problem was the same. I’m worried that I can’t really use this pedal live because of this unpredictability.

I should note that I normally use the Hog with the input gain all the way down, and this seems connected somehow. Increasing the input gain lowers the noise—but it doesn’t make it vanish, and the more I turn it up the more I increase the possibility of clipping. I’ve always preferred to use it with the input slider all the way down and the output all the way up.

Do I have a faulty unit, need a different power supply? Is this a known issue? I’ve always used the EHX power supply that came with it—at least as far as I can remember.

Thanks for any input.

Rank
Joined  2010-06-27
Posted: 27 June 2010 01:39 PM | Link to this reply (#2)

Twilight Zone time. I just set up my amp and the noise is pretty much totally gone—even with toaster and air conditioner going.

I have noticed in the past that the input slider has been a little wonky, giving out some loud pops when I moved it, especially from the down position. That was one of the reasons I was just leaving it all the way down. The slider isn’t popping now. Dust? Now there’s a little buzz when the Hog is engaged unaffected by the volume on the guitar (or bass in this case), but it’s totally within the range of acceptability. Before, it was very loud and intrusive. And I tried it in different power outlets and my Fuhrman power conditioner—same noise.

Maybe it’s one of those things that gets fixed simply by asking about it—I hope! The only other thing I’m wondering is if it could be the result of leaving the unit on for a long period of time and it’s heating up or something…I’ve been leaving it plugged in but bypassed for pretty extended periods.

Thanks!

Rank
Joined  2010-06-27
Posted: 27 June 2010 11:38 PM | Link to this reply (#3)

Tried it again and it’s kinda back. Had it powered on and it sounded fine, then switched on the air conditioner, and the first thing that happened, the power to the Hog cut, then came back on. The extra noise was back—also, it seems as though when this happens, the extra octaves are a little out of tune. So it does still seem sensitive to power spikes. Perhaps it sounded good this morning because it was so early, and there wasn’t much power otherwise in use?

RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  104
Joined  2009-03-31
Posted: 28 June 2010 02:26 AM | Link to this reply (#4)

Just a thought, maybe try it in a different building.  Maybe its picking up something on your ring main in your house.  Just a thought.

http://www.brianabbott.info
The Invisible Opera Company of Tibet

Rank
Joined  2010-06-27
Posted: 28 June 2010 09:08 AM | Link to this reply (#5)

I was hoping it was just a problem with my archaic wiring, but I had a performance over the weekend somewhere else and the noise/interference was extremely troublesome—very loud. That wiring could’ve been a little sketchy too, but even if so, it proves that the Hog is very sensitive to this sort of thing. Or at last my Hog, if it’s damaged. So, yeah, I’m worried that it’ll be ok in some venues, not ok in others, and it’ll be unpredictable in that way.

RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2010-03-08
Posted: 05 May 2012 11:21 PM | Link to this reply (#6)

Hello All,

Well, now my HOG is making noise & it’s coming out of both the FX & Direct output. High-pitched kind of squeal. Non-stop. Plus, my input sliders are kinda strange as sometimes they seem to do nothing or at other times are very sensitive , almost impossible to adjust. No clue what’s going on.

Mark Showalter
Gainesville, Fl
myspace.com/folkstone57

The difference between great music & just noise is silence.

Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1166
Joined  2011-02-22
Posted: 05 May 2012 11:26 PM | Link to this reply (#7)

Please contact :
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
Tell them whats going on and they will get you the best help.

Folkstone57 - 06 May 2012 04:21 AM

Hello All,

Well, now my HOG is making noise & it’s coming out of both the FX & Direct output. High-pitched kind of squeal. Non-stop. Plus, my input sliders are kinda strange as sometimes they seem to do nothing or at other times are very sensitive , almost impossible to adjust. No clue what’s going on.

RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2010-03-08
Posted: 06 May 2012 09:49 AM | Link to this reply (#8)

@EHX STAFF

Thanks! I sent off an email today.

Mark Showalter
Gainesville, Fl
myspace.com/folkstone57

The difference between great music & just noise is silence.

Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2018-12-05
Posted: 05 December 2018 04:49 PM | Link to this reply (#9)

sorry for the thread necromancy; I have the exact same issue; was there a solution to it? and can you share?

Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1166
Joined  2011-02-22
Posted: 05 December 2018 07:48 PM | Link to this reply (#10)

Please write the above service techs

RSS 2.0 Atom Feed